Your Pre-adoption Homework
Questions to ask yourself as you begin your adoption process
These questions are helpful in assisting parents in choosing the right program or country to adopt from. We encourage you to bring your list of answers and any questions you may have to your first meeting with HIC or your home study social worker.
- Why do you want to start or add to your family?
- Why do you want to raise a child?
- Do you have a mental picture of that child?
- Is there something you are sure you do not want, in the child you will raise?
- Do you care about the gender of the child?
- Do you care about the age of the child you are going to adopt?
- Do you care if little information is available on the health or medical condition of the child?
- How do you feel about the color of the child’s skin?
- How important is the lack of available information about the child’s birth parents, to you?
- How much does the cost of adoption matter?
- How long are you willing to take to adopt a child?
- How do you feel about the number of trips or the length of the trip you are required to take, to pick up your child?
- Do you have a built-in bias, or an affinity for a particular culture or country?